Spinach cannelloni with ricotta and ham
Learn how to prepare this spinach cannelloni in an utterly homemade way. Follow this step by step recipe and… enjoy it!
Spinach cannelloni with ricotta and ham
Cannelloni is a dish that comes from Italia. It consists of thin and square-shaped dough that, once it’s boiled, you have to fill it and wrap it. It offers a lot of possibilities, not only in its making and its filling but also in the kind of dough that you can use. In Argentina, for example, people often prepare cannelloni with crepes. It’s not surprising since the modern recipe is not the same as the traditional one. As a curiosity, bechamel was not included in the recipe until the 18ths century. Even though it’s a delicious dish and, although the preparation of the spinach cannelloni is quite laborious, it really worths it!
Ingredients for the spinach cannelloni with ricotta and ham
- 2 eggs
- 300ml milk
- 8 tablespoon flour
- 300gr spinach
- 500gr ricotta
- 200gr Parmesan cheese
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- Ham slices
- Black pepper
- 30gr butter
- 500ml milk
- 2 tablespoon flour
- Grated cheese
Preparation of the dough
- Mix in a bowl all the ingredients until you get a uniform mix. Start stirring the eggs. Then pour the milk and, to end up, add the sieving flour to avoid forming lumps.
- Pour the mix in small amounts over a hot frying pan, so it covers all its base with a thin layer.
- When it starts to bubble, it’s going to be the moment to spin it around. Continue cooking it for some minutes until it starts browning.
- Prepare all the crepes you can need and keep them for later.
Preparation of the filling of the spinach cannelloni with ricotta and ham
- Chop the onion and the garlic cloves as thin as you can.
- Sauté them in a frying pan until they start to brown. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Join the spinach with the onion and the garlic. Stir it slowly to cook the vegetable uniformly.
- Cook the spinach for some minutes until it gets tender.
- Move all the ingredients away from the frying pan and pour them into a bowl. Then, add the ricotta, the parmesan cheese, and mix them well. Season it to taste.
Assembling the spinach cannelloni with ricotta and ham
- Spread out one crepe and put over it a ham slice.
- Now, spread out the stuffing of the cannelloni over the ham slice. Wrap it gently without applying too much pressure to be sure that the filling remains inside the dough. Repeat this step the times you need until you make all the cannelloni you need.
Preparation of the sauce
- Melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Sprinkle the sieving flour slowly over the melted butter and mix it enérgicamente. Cook it for some minutes.
- Pour some milk to dissolve the mix and make it homogeneous. In the case that appears some lumps and you can’t dissolve them, use a hand blender to achieve it. Add nutmeg and salt to taste. Cook the sauce for a few moments, and don’t stop stirring it until you get a liquid but thick texture.
- Spread a thin layer of the sauce over an oven dish to avoid the spinach cannelloni getting stick.
- Put the cannelloni in the oven dish side by side and then pour the sauce over them.
- Cover up the cannelloni with grated cheese. Place it in the oven at the maximum until the cheese is melted.
Although the preparation of the spinach cannelloni with ricotta and ham is quite laborious, the result is a delicious dish that really worths trying. As you can imagine, it’s a different and pleasant way to eat vegetables. Even the people who don’t like vegetables will love it!
Even though the dough, the sauce, and the cheese are caloric ingredients, the spinach will provide vitamins, fiber, and minerals. And although this vegetable is a superfood, it’s not convenient to overeat this mixture. Even so, it’s not a heavy meal. You’ll be able to eat more than two cannelloni, and you won’t even notice!
Just like spaghetti bolognese, this is one of those recipes that everyone loves. So if you dare to try it… I hope you enjoy it as I did!
KEEP IN TOUCH?
Don't you find the recipe you are looking for? Do you have any suggestion? Do you want to tell us something? Don't be shy! Write us and we'll give you an answer as soon as we can
THIS MAY ALSO BE OF YOUR INTEREST!
What to eat in Rome? Discover the best dishes of the Roman cuisine
In addition to art and history, it is a city with a lot of gastronomy. Still don’t know what to eat in Rome? Discover the Roman Cuisine!
What to eat in Amsterdam? Find the typical Dutch food!
Still don’t know the typical food of Holland? Don’t know what to eat in Amsterdam beyond Space Brownies? Find it out!
Argentinian beef empanadas, delicious!
You won’t be able to presume of having tasted the best of Argentina until you try these Argentinian beef empanadas. What are you waiting for?
Where to eat the best Sunday roast in Manchester?
Want to try the best Sunday roast in Manchester? Discover a restaurant that just few tourists know about – you’ll love this one!
Follow me on the social networks!
Discover interesting places!
What to do in Valencia? 16 things you should not miss
Are you planning to visit the city and still unsure what to do in Valencia? Check out these 16 must-do things
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?