Bacalhau Zé do Pipo? Try the cod gratin with mayonnaise!
Are you fond of Portuguese gastronomy? Then you have to try this delicious bacalhau é do pipo. You’ll love it!
Portuguese gastronomy has gained worldwide recognition in the last few years, lauded for its authenticity and distinctive flavors. Due to its privileged location on the Atlantic coast and its history marked by maritime exploitation, cod is one of Portugal’s star products. It is so widely used in Portuguese recipes that people often say there are more than a thousand ways to prepare it.
Some of the most traditional recipes are: bacalhau à brás which is prepared with fried potatoes, onion, eggs, and olives; bacalao com natas which is a dish au gratin with a creamy sauce of onion, potatoes, and cream; and bacalao zé do pipo which is the recipe we are going to prepare today. So, if you want to try cod gratin with mayonnaise, keep reading!
Ingredients to prepare bacalhau zé do pipo for two people
- 400 grams of cod
- 1 large onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 4 medium potatoes
- Whole milk
- Black olives
- Bay leaves
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
Preparation of the ingredients
- Start peeling, dicing, and boiling the potatoes. Cook them over medium heat until they are soft enough to mash. In the meantime, you can continue with the following steps.
- Julienne the onion.
- Chop the garlic cloves as finely as possible.
- Sauté the onion and garlic with two bay leaves, a dash of olive oil, and salt to taste over medium heat until golden brown. When finished, discard the bay leaves.
- Meanwhile, place the cod in a frying pan and cover it with milk. Season it with black pepper to taste for extra flavor and cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once ready, take it out of the pan and reserve the milk. Remove the skin and bones while the cod is still hot. Then shred it into large pieces.
Preparation of the bacalhau zé do pipo purée
- When the potatoes have softened enough, drain them and mash them with a potato masher. Stir in some of the milk you used to cook the cod until you get a smooth but consistent texture. Season it with salt and pepper to taste.
Gratin of bacalhau zé do pipo
- Place the shredded cod in the center of a baking dish.
- Next, cover the cod with the onion and garlic.
- Then, cover it all with mayonnaise.
- Finally, place the mashed potatoes at the ends of the bowl surrounding the cod.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200º and gratinate until golden brown.
- Once ready, garnish with black olives and parsley. Let’s eat!
Result: bacalhau zé do pipo, an exquisite cod gratin with mayonnaise dish
Bacalhau zé do pipo is a delicious and balanced dish that combines different flavors and textures. On the one hand, the cod, with its characteristic mild and salty flavor, contrasts with the sweetness and intensity of the onion. In addition, the mayonnaise adds a subtle but pleasant acid touch. On the other hand, the creaminess of the purée combines perfectly with the texture of the fish, making it pleasing to eat. Finally, the black olives and parsley give extra color and flavor to the dish, making it irresistible.
All that, added to its relative ease of preparation, make bacalhau zé do pipo one of the most appealing cod gratin with mayonnaise recipes to cook at home. To prepare it, you’ll only need a few easy-to-get ingredients, and it will be ready in a very short time. Frankly, this was the first time we tried it because we had never heard of it before, and we fell in love from the first bite.
Are you also fond of Portuguese gastronomy and haven’t tried bacalhau zé do pipo yet? Dare to try it! We are sure you will love it.
KEEP IN TOUCH?
Don't you find the recipe you are looking for? Do you have any suggestion? Do you want to tell us something? Don't be shy! Write us and we'll give you an answer as soon as we can
THIS MAY ALSO BE OF YOUR INTEREST!
Ham and cheese lasagne is a variation of the Italian recipe. It requires few ingredients and is easy to prepare. Are you up for it?
Are you visiting and don’t know where to eat in Bailén? There’s much more than ancient battles here. There is good food at reasonable prices!
La Pepica Restaurant has a long history of serving paellas on Valencia’s seafront promenade. Do you want to know more?
Enjoy one of the most traditional flavors of Valencia. Dare with this chicken paella, the best chicken rice recipe!
Discover interesting places!
Are you planning to visit the city and still unsure what to do in Valencia? Check out these 16 must-do things
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?