Bacalhau à Brás, the most traditional dish of the Portuguese gastronomy
Bacalhau à brás is possibly the most famous Portuguese dish. Haven’t you tried it yet? Follow this recipe and prepare it at home!
Bacalhau à brás is one of the most famous and traditional dishes of Portuguese cuisine. Its preparation requires ingredients that are very easy to find. In fact, except for the cod, they usually are available at home. What’s more, the preparation of this recipe is a piece of cake. What is the result? A light and delicious dish. Haven’t you tried bacalhau à brás yet? Then you need this recipe!
Bacalhau à Brás ingredients
- 500g fresh cod
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 large potato
- 2 eggs
- 1 small can of black olives
- Black pepper
- Olive Oil
Preparation of the ingredients
- Cut the potatoes into straws. The thinner they are, the better. Although many kitchen utensils will help you do it very quickly, you can do it by hand.
- Finely chop the garlic cloves and parsley. Julienne the onion and the black olives into small pieces.
- Remove the skin from the cod and make sure it doesn’t have fishbones. Although the cod will practically crumble on its own in the pan, you can cut it into large chunks to make it easier to handle.
Fry the potatoes of the Bacalhau à Brás
- Pour a good amount of olive oil into a frying pan and heat it over high heat. Once it reaches the required temperature, fry the potatoes. To be honest, I have seen many recipes in which people recommend that the potatoes be very crispy. In this case, I like them to be soft since they combine better with the texture of the cod. Reserve the fries in a bowl with paper towels for later.
Preparation of the cod
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the garlic and onion until lightly browned. Don’t forget to heat the oven because you will need it in the last part of the recipe.
- Add the cod, parsley, and a touch of black pepper to the pan and stir vigorously. You will notice how, little by little, the cod begins to crumble on its own.
- Once the cod is cooked, lower the heat and add the black olives and fried potatoes. Continue stirring until everything is well mixed.
Cooking the eggs
- Put the cod and the rest of the ingredients in a large baking dish. Break two eggs over it and put it in the oven. It doesn’t really matter if the yolks break since you will have to scramble the dish before serving it. The most important thing here is not to overcook the eggs to prevent the yolks from drying.
To be honest, the result is an exquisite dish and, once you try it, I’m sure you won’t be able to resist the temptation to prepare it from time to time, just as we do! Enjoy your meal!
Do you have any questions? Have you ever tried cooking this recipe before? Do you know any tricks that might be useful? I’d love to hear what you have to say! Leave a comment!
Did you miss my last recipe? Find out how to make a delicious cottage pie with gratin cheese clicking here!
KEEP IN TOUCH?
Don't you find the recipe you are looking for? Do you have any suggestion? Do you want to tell us something? Don't be shy! Write us and we'll give you an answer as soon as we can
THIS MAY ALSO BE OF YOUR INTEREST!
Enjoy one of the most traditional flavors of Valencia. Dare with this chicken paella, the best chicken rice recipe!
Still haven’t tried the Salmorejo recipe? Enjoy one of the most famous Andalusian dishes without leaving home.
Are you fond of Portuguese gastronomy? Then you have to try this delicious bacalhau é do pipo. You’ll love it!
In addition to art and history, it is a city with a lot of gastronomy. Still don’t know what to eat in Rome? Discover the Roman Cuisine!
Discover interesting places!
Are you planning to visit the city and still unsure what to do in Valencia? Check out these 16 must-do things
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?