Lasagna Bolognese. Discover the authentic recipe!
Skip the bechamel sauce in this recipe and prepare an authentic lasagna bolognese that everyone will love!
Lasagna Bolognese is one of the great exponents of Italian gastronomy and one of the most widespread dishes outside Italy. Its fame is not only due to its intense and delicious flavor but also to its characteristic shape that differs from other Italian pasta recipes. The passion for lasagna dates back to Ancient Rome in the time of Cicero. At that time, there was a dish called lagănum, which consisted of long pasta strips. But it was probably not until the 17th century that it appeared in the form everyone knows today.
Although lasagna Bolognese is the most widespread recipe, there are a lot of variations of the dish. For this reason, we can find them with vegetables, fish or all kinds of meat. To create this article, I took inspiration from the traditional lasagna Bolognese recipe published by the Italian Academy of Cuisine. Among its ingredients, it is possible to find sweetbreads, chicken livers, and mushrooms. Surprisingly, there is no bechamel either. You read that right!
So, if you want to prepare a different lasagna, this recipe is what you need. And, although it is laborious, I assure you that if you don’t cut cooking times, this meat lasagna Bolognese will be one of the best you will try. Shall we start?
Ingredients to prepare the lasagna Bolognese for 4 persons
- 250 grams of fresh lasagna sheets
- 300 grams of veal minced meat
- 150 grams of bacon
- 50 grams of carrot
- 50 grams of celery
- 300 grams of peeled tomatoes
- 50 grams of onion
- Half a glass of red wine
- Olive oil
- Meat broth
- Bay leaves
- 400 ml of cooking cream
- Parmesan cheese
Preparation of the ingredients for the lasagna Bolognese
- Cut the bacon into small cubes.
- Then cook it in a large, deep pan over low heat. Doing this will prevent it from burning while you are chopping the vegetables.
- Meanwhile, cut the onion, celery, and carrot into small cubes.
Cooking the ragù: the filling of the lasagna bolognese
- Once the bacon is ready, pour a dash of olive oil and add the chopped vegetables. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring gently from time to time for a few minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Then add the minced meat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until it changes color.
- When the meat is ready, pour the red wine and stir to distribute it evenly. Continue until it has almost completely evaporated.
- Then lower the heat, add the peeled tomatoes that you have previously had to crush and a few bay leaves. Cook it over low heat for at least one hour, adding meat broth if necessary to prevent it from dehydrating. Remember that the longer you stew it, the tastier the result will be. Arm yourself with patience. It is worth it!
Preparation of the lasagna
- Pour the cream into a frying pan and heat it over low heat. If you want, and although it is not necessary, you can season it with a pinch of nutmeg to taste.
- Meanwhile, grate the Parmesan cheese and heat the oven to 180º.
- Then spread a thin layer of cream in a baking dish. It will prevent the first layer of dough from sticking.
- Next, place the first layer of lasagna. On it, spread a little cream. Then, the ragù and, over it, spread Parmesan cheese. Repeat this step 3 more times. At this point, you should have four layers of lasagna in the baking dish.
- Finally, place the last layer of lasagna. Spread over it a little more cream and cover all with plenty of Parmesan cheese.
Baking the lasagna bolognese
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Bake the lasagna for 3o minutes at 180º.
- After this time, carefully remove the aluminum foil and grill the cheese.
- When you remove it from the oven, let it rest for 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve. Enjoy!
Result: A spectacular lasagna bolognese
Although the recipe for the lasagna Bolognese contains many steps, to be honest, they are not overly complicated. However, in my opinion, the major drawback to preparing this dish is that it requires a lot of time. The secret to achieving a delicious lasagna lies in the cooking time of the ragù. The longer you slow-cook it, the tastier the result will be.
In this case, to prepare the lasagna Bolognese, I needed about 3 hours. It may sound excessive, but if you enjoy cooking, in the end, it won’t seem too long. The result will be particularly satisfying! Following the steps described in this recipe, you will get a creamy lasagna with an intense flavor. Although, as it happens with the meat pie, tomorrow it will be tastier than just out of the oven.
If you dare to prepare this lasagna Bolognese, I hope you enjoy both the process and the result! And if, on the other hand, you prefer other pasta dishes that are quick to prepare, take a look at this spaghetti carbonara recipe.
KEEP IN TOUCH?
Don't you find the recipe you are looking for? Do you have any suggestion? Do you want to tell us something? Don't be shy! Write us and we'll give you an answer as soon as we can
THIS MAY ALSO BE OF YOUR INTEREST!
Ham and cheese lasagne is a variation of the Italian recipe. It requires few ingredients and is easy to prepare. Are you up for it?
Are you visiting and don’t know where to eat in Bailén? There’s much more than ancient battles here. There is good food at reasonable prices!
La Pepica Restaurant has a long history of serving paellas on Valencia’s seafront promenade. Do you want to know more?
Enjoy one of the most traditional flavors of Valencia. Dare with this chicken paella, the best chicken rice recipe!
Discover interesting places!
Are you planning to visit the city and still unsure what to do in Valencia? Check out these 16 must-do things
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?