Cottage pie with gratin cheese, it hasn’t been so easy until now!
How to cook cottage pie with gratin cheese? Follow this step by step recipe guide, it’s easier than it looks… It hasn’t been so easy until now!
How to cook a delicious cottage pie to succeed in any kind of meal? At the first look it may seem difficult, but if you follow this recipe step by step you will realize that it is simpler than it seems. As in all the recipes I prepare, I always give a personal touch to them… Prepared? We start with this delicious recipe now!
Ingredients for the cottage pie
- 500g minced meat
- 2 medium purple onions
- 2 celery stalks
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 small carrots
- Small can of crushed tomato
- 250ml beef stock
- 250ml red wine
- 1 kg potatoes
- 200g cheese for gratin
- 2 eggs
- Black pepper
Preparation of ingredients
- Season the meat with a little thyme, rosemary, pepper and salt. Let it rest so that it gets the flavor of the spices.
- Cut the onions, garlic cloves, celery and carrots into very small cubes. The smaller the better, the flavors will be more homogeneous.
- Cut the potatoes into four and boil them without removing their skin, although they will absorb more water than if you leave them whole, they will cook faster. The longer they are in the water, the easier it will be to smash them later. And don’t worry about the peel… By letting them cool a little, you can remove it even with your fingers!
- In a deep frying pan (I’ve used a wok pan) melt some butter. Pour in it the purple onion, garlic and a little bit of salt and let them poach until lightly browned.
- Then add the carrot and celery, and let them cook for a few minutes.
- Get back the meat you’ve seasoned before and slowly add it to the vegetable mix while still stirring. If you like spices, add a little more of rosemary, thyme and pepper.
- Once the meat starts to change its color, add the crushed tomato to the pan while still stirring. Let it cook for a few minutes.
- As soon as the tomato starts to bubble, pour in the wine and meat broth. Now it’s time to arm yourself with patience and wait until the liquid has evaporated. That’s why my recommendation at this point is to focus on the purée.
Preparation of the purée of the cottage pie
- Once the potatoes are soft and at a suitable temperature for handling, it’s time to peel them. You’ll notice that it’s really easy as its skin will be removed virtually effortlessly. And don’t forget to turn on the oven so it gets hot.
- In a large enough bowl, combine the potatoes, two egg yolks and all the cheese you want to add and a touch of nutmeg. Even if it is not a traditional ingredient in this recipe… Believe me, you won’t regret it!
- Smash everything until you get a homogeneous dough. Focus on not leaving lumps.
- On a baking sheet, expand a first thin layer of purée. This will keep the cottage pie together and not disassemble when cutting it to serve it.
- Then add the meat and expand well to cover the entire first layer of purée.
- Cover the meat layer with a new, very thick purée layer.
- prinkle as much cheese as you want over the last layer of purée and put it in the oven to gratin it.
After melting the cheese for a few minutes you will get a dish that will be mouth-watering. Although freshly made is a delight, the next day the dish will be tastier. As you can see, it’s a very easy recipe, albeit a little elaborate. To serve it, I recommend you cutting square portions and taking them out of the tray carefully so that the rest of the cottage pie will not break.
Have a good time!
If you like this recipe, take a look at the rest of the recipes of this web.
KEEP IN TOUCH?
Don't you find the recipe you are looking for? Do you have any suggestion? Do you want to tell us something? Don't be shy! Write us and we'll give you an answer as soon as we can
THIS MAY ALSO BE OF YOUR INTEREST!
You won’t be able to presume of having tasted the best of Argentina until you try these Argentinian beef empanadas. What are you waiting for?
Want to try the best Sunday roast in Manchester? Discover a restaurant that just few tourists know about – you’ll love this one!
Travel to Peru without leaving Spain. At Chincha Internacional, you will find the best Peruvian food in Madrid. Join us in this gastronomic adventure!
Finding the best-rated paella in Valencia was not easy. The restaurant where it is prepared is in an unexpected place, right in an orchard!
Discover interesting places!
Are you planning to visit the city and still unsure what to do in Valencia? Check out these 16 must-do things
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?