Argentinian ham and cheese empanadas
Not many people know the Argentinian ham and cheese empanadas. If you want to surprise your family or friends, this is the recipe you were looking for!
Argentinian ham and cheese empanadas
Although not everyone knows the Argentinian ham and cheese empanadas since the most popular ones are the meat ones… These empanadas are an authentic delicacy! Like the ham and cheese puff pastry pie, all your relatives will love them. Surprise your family with this recipe!
- 16 empanada lids (purchased or homemade)
- 1 brie cheese (or similar cheeses that melt easily)
- 150 grams of ham
- 1 small onion
- 1 egg
- Shredded or powdered cheese
Preparation of the Argentinian ham and cheese empanadas
- To increase the ease of this recipe,I bought the lids of the empanadas in the supermarket. Despite not being home-made, they tend to be quite good and it helps to speed up the preparation process. If you decide to try to make them… check out this post.
- Cut the ham, the cheese and the onion into small cubes. The smaller they are, the better since the filling of the empanadas will be more uniform and they will be easier to assemble.
Assemble the Argentinian ham and cheese empanadas
- First of all turn on the oven. Then, spread a empanada lid over a baking paper to avoid getting it stuck. Place some ham, cheese, onion on it and add some basil to give it more flavor.
- Close the lid of the empanada forming a kind of crescent. Squeeze their ends slightly to make sure they won’t open on their own. Make sure it doesn’t break because, in the moment of putting it in the oven, the filling will come out of the holes.
- Hold their tips and join them until they get a shape similar to this one. As you can see, it looks like a tortellini but in a giant version. The filling will stay in the middle and the shape will prevent it from coming out.
- Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 until you assemble all the empanadas. Then place them on a baking sheet.
- Break the egg and whisk it down well until the yolk and the white are mixed. Using a kitchen brush, spread a little over the empanadas. This will give them a goldener color and will be more appetizing in sight.
- Sprinkle some cheese over the empanadas and put them in the oven. When you see that they are golden and the dough is crisp, they’ll be ready to be eaten.
This is how Argentinian ham and cheese empanadas have to look like when you took them out of the oven. They should have a golden color outside and a crunchy dough. Although it takes a long time to prepare them because the process is a bit laborious, it worths it giving them a chance. They are so good that you will eat a lot of them almost without realizing it!
Although the traditional recipe doesn’t have onion or basil, personally, I like them more in this way. You should try both kinds so you can decide which one you prefer more.
I hope you enjoy these Argentinian ham and cheese empanadas as much as we did. Do you think they look good? Have you ever tried these empanadas? Tell us in the comments!
If you are a traditional recipes lover, do not miss this recipe: Step-by-step recipe: Bacalhau à Brás, traditional Portuguese food
KEEP IN TOUCH?
Don't you find the recipe you are looking for? Do you have any suggestion? Do you want to tell us something? Don't be shy! Write us and we'll give you an answer as soon as we can
THIS MAY ALSO BE OF YOUR INTEREST!
You won’t be able to presume of having tasted the best of Argentina until you try these Argentinian beef empanadas. What are you waiting for?
Want to try the best Sunday roast in Manchester? Discover a restaurant that just few tourists know about – you’ll love this one!
Travel to Peru without leaving Spain. At Chincha Internacional, you will find the best Peruvian food in Madrid. Join us in this gastronomic adventure!
Finding the best-rated paella in Valencia was not easy. The restaurant where it is prepared is in an unexpected place, right in an orchard!
Discover interesting places!
Are you planning to visit the city and still unsure what to do in Valencia? Check out these 16 must-do things
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?